JJ, hubby got involved through his two brothers (who originally went there for vacation about 20 years ago and met the old man on the front porch - that's how it all began.) His brothers (and their families) went every year, so when hubby retired from the military, he went with them. I couldn't go because I was still working with the military (as a civvie). Then after switching jobs, I was able to go to Cuba, but we went to Havana and other parts. Hubby's family always went in the winter and I could never get time off work to go at that time.

Hubby's brother still goes every year, as well as the other BIL's widow, and hubby's sister and her husband (though they didn't go this year). Most years there are 8 or 9 of us there.

I don't know why Cuba. In those days, it was very cheap. My BIL's probably chose there because it was the cheapest and safest. Cuba is still one of the safest places on earth for tourists. It's customary in Cuba for tourists from all four hotels to take an after-supper stroll along the street, even to go stroll through the other hotels to see what's going on and who's there. Since many of the tourists in that area are return-guests who come back year after year, it becomes like a big family reunion out on the street!

The biggest attraction for us in Cuba are the people, the Cubans. Very happy, kind, lovely people who have nothing and yet would still gladly give you the shirt off their backs. We've traveled a lot but have never met friendlier or kinder people anywhere else in the world. They know how to live, I mean, really live. Family, music, dancing, laughter are all the mainstays of their lives. It's infectious. Some of the most pleasant moments we've ever had on vacation are the times we've spent with our friends, simply sitting in rocking chairs and chatting, or playing dominoes with the family.

(Maya Angelou)