Chatty, to be honest, I just don't know what to say when people offer to send stuff for Cuba. At the top of my reasons why is that we just don't have the time, energy or mental resources to provide accountability or even reasonably accurate feedback to anyone who donates. In the past people have donated stuff that's too heavy or difficult to pack, and then have been upset/disappointed when we told them we couldn't take those items. We know the people we're buying for, we customize much of our shopping to the specific people on our list. If something someone sends us doesn't match anyone on the list, we can't afford to waste precious weight/space restrictions on stuff we can't use.

Weight restriction is a constant barrier to taking more stuff. We've discovered that by going first class (not as expensive as it sounds) our weight allowance doubles, so it ends up being cheaper to fly first class than to pay hundreds of dollars for extra weight, which is what we used to do. We also have restrictions on the Cuba end as to what we're allowed to take in. If we take too much of one thing, they notice and stop us.

The other concern I have is that Cuba is the spark of passion that God has put in our hearts...but I believe that God gives everyone a different spark of passion for different causes to each person. Yours is for animals and strays and volunteer work in various areas of your own community. Others here have a passion for other causes...I don't want to take money or energy away from THOSE passions. I celebrate and prefer that people channel that money and passion into whatever area they feel most drawn to.

In large part, I share our experiences here, not only because this is my second home and it's natural to want to share my heart and adventures with my sisters, but also in part to show how easy it can be to change people's lives. A pair of socks, a toothbrush, a package of needles, a new pair of underwear, a skipping rope...such simple things, yet they bring such joy.

So I don't know what to say in response to kind offers like yours. I honestly don't want to seem ungrateful, but I also don't want to make anyone feel obligated or to draw resources away from your own neighbourhoods and passion-areas. Does that make any sense? By the time you would send a check to me, we would lose money to banking administrative services, then more in the exchange to Cuban pesos - and I would not be able to keep accurate records to provide accountability for every cent. That alone would bother me. I would be able to tell you that it went to someone who needed it, but not exactly who or exactly how much of it ended up in their hands after all the service charges and exchange fees.

But your offer touches my heart and I thank you.

(Maya Angelou)