Hi ladies. This really doesn't fit in this category, but then it didn't seem to fit into "any" category.

I have a cousin who recently spent almost 7 weeks in the hospital (he almost died, but is doing much better and hoping to go back to work next week).

He has made bad choices over the past 30 years, and is now paying for them (no money in the bank, living with a relative, no health insurance, no job.... you get the picture).

He has asked to borrow $200 so that he can use it to get started back to work next week. And there is my dilemma.

I have already given him $450 over the past year (and he can't pay it back). He's a good soul, I love him dearly, and I want to help. But I really don't want to give away another $200, even though I know it's the right thing to do.

I work a full time job and two or three part time jobs (depending on time of year), to keep myself afloat. There were times (before his illness) when he'd stay home from work for a day because he couldn't afford the gas. Instead of trying to find better employment there would be excuses.

I'm annoyed too because the day he went home from the hospital he started smoking again (which the doctor has said is contributing to his many health problems). I know that is a difficult habit to break, but people "do" manage to do it. Funny, there is always money for cigarettes.

There is really no advice anyone can give me. I'm just trying to work through my feelings on this today, I have to call him back this afternoon and give him an answer.

Sigh...

Whirlwind