That's great celtic. I agree buying and riding a bike that is made of lighter materials is helpful. And having gears truly can make a ride more enjoyable.

As for gear-fear....please get over this, ladies. If you can use all sort of computer software, sew a complicated piece of clothing, you can learn to use gears. Liberate yourself abit by making your life/body easier while you are biking.

Ask bike store when they allow you test ride a new bike, your relatives or another female cyclist that you may meet along the way. Just don't stop a female cyclist who is rolling along (this would annoy any goal-oriented cyclist that is cycling with a clear purpose) ..choose one who is just hanging out by a coffee shop or sitting down in park with her bike. You can tell how they are dressed, that they would know how to use their bike gears. You don't need to use the full range of gears. But be not afraid of switching gears 10-25 times during a 1-2 hr. ride. This is part of the secret to a more enjoyable and smoother ride without killing your knees or making yourself ready to collapse from exhaustion.

When I reach an intersection, I switch to an easier gear because when I need to restart on bike after stopping, I can pedal more smoothly and lightly in the start-up without grinding up with effort. Then as soon as you get past middle of road intersection, you switch to a higher gear to go faster rest of the way.

If you are overstretched on the bike, then the bike is too long/big for you. One should not also rock from side to side when cycling. A sign also that the bike is too bike for you. It is not good for one's hips/lower back.

I'm actually picky when I rent a bike or ride other people's bikes, simply because I am short and small, hence difficult to fit alot of average bikes out there.

A saddle that can be adjustable up and down is helpful. Also if the nose (front of saddle) can be adjusted for angle, ie. sometimes adjusting a tiny fraction with nose downward, will not make the seat hard on crotch.

Do not choose a saddle too wide nor a heavy saddle. All of this adds to the total weight of bike...and you will regret it if you do begin to use bike abit more often and want to go farther or up little hills. Saddles that are too wide, actually get in the way between the legs if you are riding for a while.