Originally Posted By: orchid
I know several single women who own 2-storied houses, including 2 sisters (before 1 sister got married). It's alot of work..for these women. 1 woman, a dear friend my age, owns and looks after 2 homes --a 3 bedroom that she inherited from her parents and her cottage about 100 kms. away. I don't know how she does this. Both homes have sizable backyards with flower gardens. She does alot of driving between the 2 homes. Yes, both homes are well-kept. Is there a man in life? No.

If you can believe this, she had a management job for 18 months where she had to rent a room, in a totally different city that was 150 kms. away from her 2 homes that she owned.It was a job worth this temporary living situation.

And she doesn't rent either home to anyone. No, she is childless.

As you can tell, I have carefully suggested once or twice, she has to sell a home... What is probably making it difficult is trying to figure out from a career perspective, the best region to live for optimal job market opportunities and work travel.

right now, she is looking for a job after her contract job ended. So ladies, if you think you would be exhausted looking after 1 house ...solo.

As an update, my good single friend (who is 51) who owns 2 single detached homes, is now wishing she sold her 3-4 bedroom house that she inherited. She is now finding the cost of repairs just not worth the investment...when she would like to sell it when the market gets better. So she is only having repairs done for critical stuff.

It is not a stretch for me to live in a condo, because my family lived in apartments for the lst 10 years of my life. Yea, it got much to have 5 children in a 1 bedrm. before moving to house.

Then I lived in apartment at university, etc.

I have not lived in a townhouse, house or duplex for the past 30 years. It has always been apartment, condo or sharing a house with other tenants (some of them were siblings).

If you have grown up in a big family with not alot of room, then believe me, living in a condo should not be a big deal/adjustment. Just hope your neighbours close by are ok.

Or you have thick concrete walls/have an end unit. smile