Seek, I can only imagine how hard it must be, as a single parent, to suffer under empty nest syndrome. It was hard enough to live through it with a partner.

Actually I think you are on the right track if you seek other single mothers going through the same thing. Not all of them like to party.
How about starting a group? Just put an add in the paper? You could first meet in a coffee house or someplace neutral. I bet you would get a response…and if its just one nice lady that you could relate to,…it would be worth it.

How many children do you have, seek? I have two sons, and yes they are busy with their own lives. One of them is married to a lady who has a gigantic family. So we are just a cumbersome addition…just another one to give birthday presents to or call. I was terribly hurt in the beginning,…but oddly enough, … now that we have almost given up,…they are coming around weekly and stay almost half the day. So, giving them space really does pay off.

One thing, - this experience has forced me to think more independently. In a way it is a ticket to freedom. I always wanted to live near the ocean. Because my sons are so independent, I don't feel compelled to stay in their vicinity. I have also learned that I have to take care of myself, and not depend on anyone. I see that with my mother. If she didn't have me,…I think she would be one lost soul. It's just not healthy to be dependent on anyone for anything.

From your posts, I could tell that you are a versatile and intelligent woman. Believe me, I know those blues…especially on rainy gray days. It's awful, - but hang in there; … in the long run it will make you strong and truly free.