DJ, I read that article at the link. It was an interesting perspective, but a little too simplistic in places. For example, to say that the cure-all for clinical depression is simply more sunlight is just too misleading. I spent 6 weeks in Cuba last year, sitting out in the sun for most of the time, and I cried through most of that 6 weeks. Though to be fair, it was the first-year anniversary of my brother's death. Still, after all I've experienced first-hand and studied over the years, I'm more inclined to believe that there's no such thing as a cure-all, or one cause or one answer for everybody who suffers from depression. For some it really is a chemical imbalance (eg, seratonin deficiency) and all the sunlight/diet/exercise in the world won't help until the underlying imbalance is corrected. For others, relief will only come through lifestyle changes. But that's what makes something like depression such an easy target for stigmatizing and misunderstanding, because it's so difficult to isolate "THE" definitive problem and then treat it with a cure-all, like they can with diabetes or other more scientifically-measureable diseases.

But I do agree that much of our suffering and dis-ease comes from lifestyle choices. That can be borne out when you study different cultures and see how much healthier they are when you strip away the processed foods and sedentary lifestyle.

(Maya Angelou)