However a little dismaying thing that I'm discovering...is that I'm finding it more difficult to thread a fine needle! Means I might need glasses later /soon.

In high school home ec., alot of gals just put up with cooking. The teachers I had were abit strict, because I think they were more concerned about kitchen safety and getting us girls, to prepare a meal in good time..without yaaking too much or foolin' around with stuff in kitchen. I could never forget the time, where someone's male friend wandered into the kitchen classroom. He lifted a pressure cooker lid by mistake. And the soup ended up on the ceiling..thankfully not on anyone's face. But the teacher was outraged...understandably.

Sewing was something I could take home and plug away at my own speed...and consult my mother for advice.

Even though I barely sew right now, except for alterations on bought clothing, I am grateful for my skills..so that I can assess quality of clothing and fabric in stores and be a far more intelligent consumer on what truly is a good deal vs. ..crap.

True occasionally it can cost more to sew something.

Starting in my late teens and well into my early thirties I did occasionally plunder my mother's collection of new or nearly new clothes she had from 1950's and 1960's. As you know the quality of sewing and construction was often far superior than today for even ordinary daily clothing. I think I managed to "upcycle" several of her dresses that I wore for several years or I cut up the huge skirt part and turned it into a semi-dressy shirt/top. For 10 years in my 20's, I wore my mother's wool black coat that she used to wear in the early 1960's. I wore it until the lining tore. Same for a beautiful cashmere wool suit jacket.

I am more than just the cycling woman who seems not to do housework nor buy gorgeous high heel shoes. laugh