Crosstitchqueen,
There are two things I would say about going to gray:
One is that some people look great in gray hair no matter what their age. They can look young, even with gray hair, and it works well for them, they look different and, again, young.
The second thing I would say is that now days many women NEVER go gray. They may put some blond in their hair as Chatty has, or go completely blond, which caused their gray grow out show less. Still they keep tinting though.

A technique to trying gray is to weave your color into your hair, leaving some out to stay gray. That way you go gradually gray and don't suddenly go gray.

Do you have ALL gray hair? If not, you will still have to deal with two colours. Most times we have color left in our hair and do not go completely gray until very late in life. If you have all gray hair now, it would be a look to consider. Weaving the tint in with your hairdressers help is one way to go.

Are you tired of dark hair? You can go blond, or to blond highlights, again, like Chatty did, and your gray areas will not show so much when they grow back in. You may be ready for a lighter color.

Last, do you want to go gray because you feel your age says you should? If that is the case, then don't do it for that! Again, many women never go gray. You could move to a lighter shade of brown, ( I have dark, dark brown hair too.) the lighter brown could be all over or just as highlights. There is also the idea of using two colors in your hair that are close, (two browns would look nice,) and put one brown on top of your head, like dye a high pony tail of hair, leaving out your bangs, sides and bottom hair. You can then dye the bangs, sides and bottom another complimentary shade.

Whew, with all that said, why do you want to go gray?

Dancer

"Question your privilege"