After a year and a half of caring for our 2 and a half yr. old granddaughter, the first week was liberating and relaxing

But this week I’ve fallen into a slump. I dream about her little smiling face. I imagine hearing her calling “Oma”. Her scent of baby oil and powder still lingers in her room. Oh boy, this is not easy. I feel like I’ve lost my own baby daughter.

My son has told me she has been crying for me and her grandfather every night for hours. Then they came for a day, and she clung on to me for dear life. In her sweet little baby voice, she told me she cries for us and that she wants to live with us again. When the parents packed all her things, she asked what they are doing. They explained that her time at Oma’s and Opa’s house is over, and that she is living now with Mommy and Daddy. Once again, little “A’s” heart was breaking.

Of course I thought I was prepared for this; but not really. To make it worse, I mean really bad, is that the mother has an attitude. I think she is jealous. OMG, what does she expect? She hasn’t called once to let me know how “A” is doing this week. She and my son said that it is probably best if “A” doesn’t have any contact with us for the next 6 weeks. Maybe they are right. I don’t know. I always thought a slow transition is better…but my opinion doesn’t count;…only my service when they need it.

So, I sit here with a heavy heart, fighting tears of self pity back. I have written several letters to my DIL, which I never sent. I don’t want to beg her to keep contact with me; got my pride too. I expected a lot of things, but the last thing I expected was animosity from the mother. And this is the mother that didn’t call her daughter the last two months. This is the mother that extended her stay with the Olympic team another month and a half, although she wasn’t a part of them.

My son called me once from the car. “A” was in the car as well. He gave her the phone, and the first thing “A” said to me was

“Mommy is bad to me.”

“Why”, I asked. “What did she do?”

“She pulled my ears and hit me.”

Okay, I won’t dramatize this. “A” can be strenuous, but I can honestly say that I never used such disciplinary methods with her; not once in the year and a half. Her mother has not grown into rearing her child. After easy dormitory life and sleeping away her free time…she can’t seem to cope. It was good that my son heard his daughter tel me this. I’m sure he won’t stand for such measures, and has spoken to his wife about it.

What do you all think? Should I have a talk out with her…or just stay in the background. My son is doing everything possible to save the marriage in fear of losing his child. I don’t want to rock the boat, and then hear my son accuse me of interfering in their marriage. Sigh

Here we have given our all, and now get trodden on. Is there some biblical quote for this?