Dotsie -- I truly believe my husband is alive and healthy today because of diabetes.

He was a walking ticking time bomb in his 30's and 40's -- smoked -- overweight -- horrible eating habits -- with a family history that would make most healthy people run for cover. Then he found out he was Type II diabetic. He was determined not to go on insulin so he changed his whole life. He lost 30 lbs the first few months due to changing his eating habits -- he quit smoking, exercises regularly, eats well and because of all of this --not only has he controlled his blood sugar -- he doesn't have sleep apnea, irregular heart beats, or even snore anymore. He's healthier at 55 then he has been in his entire life. And he'll be the first one to tell you -- he doesn't really miss anything he ate or drank in the past that much.

Now adays the market is flooded with good foods and treats for people with diabetes. Nillawafer turned him on to a sugarless chocolate candy by Nestle -- Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine and many other companies have candy, cookies,cakes and ice cream treats that taste just as good as the treats loaded with sugar. My hubby and I take our time when we go shopping -- searching out all the new items out for diabetics -- it can be a new adventure for the two of you if you make it one.

You're angry that your baby has an illness. Understandable -- but, you also say you know God has a plan. Perhaps by having diabetes -- your daughter will change her lifestyle that will prevent her from having breast or ovian cancer, heart disease or stroke. Look at the big picture and you might see that this was indeed a blessing in disquise. Like you say -- candy machines and snacks everywhere you look -- I would venture to say in the, not so far, future we will see less and less of the junk machines and more and more of the good healthy snack machines. It's taken quite awhile, but look how we've turned on cigarettes and drinking and drugs -- maybe diabetes will have society turning on junk foods next [Smile] Who knows, by your daughters example -- her friends may just avoid future illness too !!

I believe their is a passage in the bible somewhere that states that your body is a temple ?? All diabetes has done is shown your daughter that she needs to take better care of it [Smile] She will take her cue from you -- if you treat this as an "illness" it will become one -- if you say Thank You God for saving my life -- it will become a lifestyle that will probably do just that !!

I agree that her doctor didn't give her much incentive to try -- personally -- I would find a different doctor -- we changed my husband's doctor for just the same reason.

You HAVE to have a positive attitude and be surrounded with positive attitudes to make a difference !!