Dotsie,

The best thing she has going for her is the example she has in her father. He is the most disciplined person I know of when it comes to taking care of himself. I was always amazed how he could sit at some of our family parties with my one Aunt's desserts and hearing about how good they are and not want to just take the whole plate away from us and hoard it all for himself somewhere.

Unfortantely, your daughter is at the age where it really is up to her. Your not at the parties to tell her to think twice about the Doritos and M&M's. You could possibly help guide her as to what would motivate her. For some people being scared of having to use needles is wnough, for others it's something else. I think that would be the best thing to help her figure out.

I think it's unfortunate that the doctor told her she will end up taking insulin. Even if he is right, I know it wouldn't give me much incentive to try to be vigilant about the diet and exercise. I think it might be beneficial to get the doctor involved in figuring out what would motivate your daughter to do the diet and exercise stuff. Your husband could also maybe think of somethings, since he's been through all of this.

Good Luck!