My daughter and SIL just can't seem to catch a break. They've had nothing but one bad situation after another for the last 18 months or so.

My daughter was pregnant and ended up with gestational diabetes and had to quit her job, ended up in the hospital and had her baby 5 weeks early.

During that time, my SIL had no job even though he was going to Job Services every day looking for one, he was out of work for almost 3 months. They came to us when they got a notice about their mortgage and we caught them up on that and their bills too.

Just recently, the state had a computer glitch and sent out cancellation notices to a ton of people for their state assistance programs (food stamps, medical care, cash assistance, etc) and my daughter and SIL were one of those who got cut. ARGH!!! Who knows when it'll be fixed!

Now, my SIL is in the hospital with a brain tumor. He had a seizure Friday morning and my daughter found him on the floor. He had another seizure at the hospital.

High note? He's in the best hospital in the state for neurosurgery. Tampa General. They transferred him there Saturday night.

Low note? If he bends over and coughs he will die.

My daughter has been under a doctor's care, taking anti-anxiety meds. She's so stressed out, she doesn't know if she's coming or going. She can't think straight most of the time. When she takes the meds, at least she's calmer and she's more like herself, but still not quite capable of taking care of much of anything.

Which leads me to her 5 month old daughter. My granddaughter. I've had her since Friday. And, probably will continue to take care of her for some time until my daughter gets stronger and can get through this, and at least until after my SIL has his surgery. She doesn't trust anyone else to take care of her, not even my SIL's parents.

Because my daughter is distraught and taking meds, she can't drive, I've been driving up to her house (over 30 miles away) and picking her up and taking her to the hospital (another 50 miles) and back again, then home. Whew! Oh, please, I'm not complaining. Only trying to put some perspective on this.

Thanks for listening. I've been holding that in for a while and needed to get it out. I haven't had anyone to spill my guts to, I keep meaning to call my mom, but haven't had a moment to myself to do so.

If you could send up a quick prayer request for my daughter and SIL that everything turn out okay for them, I'd appreciate it.

And, again. Thanks for listening. I really appreciate it.
Your Writing Coach
Writing Coach Blog