Hey Dot,

I usually give up something that might be getting in the way of my relationship with God. For example, one year I gave up shopping, because I had become focused on material things (amazing how these things sneek up on you). Another time it may be just giving up on a social life for the 40 days.

Here is a secular example that really didn't mean much to me at the time. But I am glad that it was something that would help me to understand what was needed during this time.

About 17 years ago when I worked in Germany for the Department of Defense, my boss had come into work one day and made this announcement. He had warned us that he would most likely be difficult to deal with during this following week. He told us that he wasn't going to smoke, drink beer, eat any butter, and I forgot what else. He was going to give all that up until 4:30PM on Friday, I remember this, and I just figured that maybe it was a medical thing and he would have to have some tests or something.

Anyway, by the time of the close of business on Friday, he lit up a cigarette, and I asked him why did he do this. His answer was, discipline. He said that he puts himself through all of this once in awhile in order to stay disciplined. I didn't really think anything of it at the time, but I respected him for that.

This is probably the best analogy I can think of when it comes to observing Lent. This I beleive could be applied to prayer and fasting as well. It certainly makes sense to me now.

I hope this helps Dot, or anyone else for that matter.

Bless your Heart,
Cathi