All of the 104 writers I interviewed for TIME TO WRITE set writing goals. I recommend people use the SMART format, which means goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, and Time Limited (i.e., give yourself a deadline.) Have overarching goals, such as "I will write my novel within 12 months" then work backwards and break down the goal into smaller goals that will move you along steadily toward the overarching goal-- for instance, "I will write three pages of my novel five days a week for the next year." You can break this down as far as you need to to get the work done-- you can include mini-action steps, such as "go to the library and do research after work every day this week," "finish my synopsis on Saturday", and so forth. This is your Writing Action Plan. In TIME TO WRITE, I include very detailed templates that you can use to create your own goals and your own writing action plan. It's important to set goals if you want to succeed as a writer.

To hold yourself accountable to your goals and writing action plan, reward yourself each and every time you follow through on those goals. So when you get your three pages done for the day, use one of those distractions that is always pulling you away from writing to pat yourself on the back-- take a nap, check your email, surf the internet, watch TV, etc. Whatever motivates you to get the job done, use it as a reward for writing.

This is how you establish positive feelings toward writing and generate positive reinforcement, which strengthens the chances that you will do it again tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and so on. It helps the momentum build and pretty soon, 12 months have passed and your novel is written!

Kelly

Author of:

TIME TO WRITE: More Than 100 Professional Writers Reveal How to Fit Writing Into Your Busy Life-- No Excuses, No Distractions, No More Blank Pages!