Great question! I think one big obstacle is that writing a book seems (and is) a daunting task! That's why you need writing goals. In TIME TO WRITE, I teach readers how to create an individualized Writing Action Plan. In that plan, you break down your goals into reasonable, achievable objectives with do-able time limits that carry you, page by page, toward your completed novel. For instance, you might write 500 words 3 days a week, or write 3 pages every Saturday and Sunday, and so forth. The key to success is consistently writing toward the long-term goal of finishing your book, and you need intermediate goals to get you there.

Another obstacle is the idea that time will magically appear at some later date and THEN you'll write your book. And guess what? The time never appears, so that manuscript just collects dust in your bottom drawer. To combat this problem, use a Writing Schedule. There are 7 of them to choose from in TIME TO WRITE that the professionals use. All of the successful writers I interviewed for my book-- all 104 of them-- use a writing schedule. Using a writing schedule helps you form the writing habit, and it makes writing time a permanent space holder in your day-- just like going to your job is, just like taking your kids to school is, just like making dinner every night is-- you do these things automatically because they're a habit. So you want to make writing a habit, and to do that you have to work a writing schedule.

Great question!

Kelly

Author of:

TIME TO WRITE: More Than 100 Professional Writers Reveal How to Fit Writing Into Your Busy Life-- No Excuses, No Distractions, No More Blank Pages!