Manhattan. My hometown. Wish I was there to take you around, Kathy.

Divide your tour of the city into lower, mid-town and upper. A day for each section. West to east. It's a city you would not get lost in as the streets are on a grid. But on the first day, I'd suggest a cruise down the Hudson is a good one to do. It'll take you around the island of Manhattan and Ellis & Statue of Liberty. It's a guided tour which takes a good 3 hours. You can catch it from the harbour at 42nd Street (Hudson side).

As you'd already be in mid-town Manhattan, the cruise could be followed by a walking tour crossing from the westside to the eastside: Broadway, Time Square, Empire State Building, Madison Square Garden, the garment district, Rockefeller Center, and the UN amongst others. The famous shops are mostly in mid-town. Get a bite to eat at Grand Central food court. You'd be surprised at what they have to offer.

The upper west/east is where you find the museums. Start off by checking out F.A.O. Schwarz (just for the fun of it), Carnegie Hall, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Modern Art, Guggenheim and lots of other museums. Very upscale boutique shopping on Madison Avenue, Bloomies on Lexington. Central Park starts from 59th South Central and you can catch a horse driven buggy from there.

Lower Manhattan for Greenwich Village, Soho, Chinatown, Canal Street (for good buys), Little Italy, Ground Zero, Wall Street, the Stock Exchange amongst a few places to walk through.

Have fun!