gims
I totally understand your definiton of unemployed v retired.
It took some time for me to accept my status.Partly due to stopping work earlier than I anticipated.
I believe laterly I felt defined by my job...then as it dawned on me all the benefits of having TIME for other pursuits.Even feeding a stray cat and the winning over of this poor creature.
Other more personal events showed me that home is a sacred place.
But having loved my job and contacts was a loss.I am on the cusp of finding another niche ..
Perhaps some are progammed to continue working and others for financial reason keep going.
I do believe a curtain comes down when people ask "what are you doing now?" to be retired seems to say...getting older to some.And women do this as often as men do.Its similar to that other era...when I was a stay at home Mother...I recognise a dismisal of all I do.But it does not offend.
For a time I activly sought another job...then as I say home events changed and I know I was using energy searching.Inded I was offered work as soon as I arrived at this decision.The law of supply and demand???
Today Monday...a new week starting and I am content..I have little plans to spend the week well.
We are all different...no one need agree with me...All I can say is that being 60 is for ME different from being fifty.
MA