I owned and lived in my own condo..by myself. for 14 yrs..and he came over to spend alot of time with me. And vice versa.

We currently live in such too but different province. It is near parks, walking/cycling paths, stores, services, public transit etc.

I wouldn't want any other way. I don't drive so a condo forces me to think through what I really want to accumulate.

It would be helpful to be in a 2 bedroom so that 1 rm. I could be used for guests or workroom.

The buildings that I live/have lived in provide lockable bike storage facilities, have 24-hr. security guard. I did live in a building where there was a rm. for guests to pay a fee, book in advance and stay as guests. Problem with that was if other guests smoked in the rm.

Previous and current building have party rm. facilities with sink, etc.

No, I was never a garden person nor into retrofitting home.

Hannelore, for certain if you want to play more golf, do more painting, you will be able to..if you lived in a townhouse or condo. It may be a good thing for you and hubby to seriously think and transition. Having an extra rm. would be good for family visitors. Since you are a real estate agent, you are your own best resource!

I know several single women who own 2-storied houses, including 2 sisters (before 1 sister got married). It's alot of work..for these women. 1 woman, a dear friend my age, owns and looks after 2 homes --a 3 bedroom that she inherited from her parents and her cottage about 100 kms. away. I don't know how she does this. Both homes have sizable backyards with flower gardens. She does alot of driving between the 2 homes. Yes, both homes are well-kept. Is there a man in life? No.

If you can believe this, she had a management job for 18 months where she had to rent a room, in a totally different city that was 150 kms. away from her 2 homes that she owned.It was a job worth this temporary living situation.

And she doesn't rent either home to anyone. No, she is childless.

As you can tell, I have carefully suggested once or twice, she has to sell a home... What is probably making it difficult is trying to figure out from a career perspective, the best region to live for optimal job market opportunities and work travel.

right now, she is looking for a job after her contract job ended. So ladies, if you think you would be exhausted looking after 1 house ...solo.

I heard of strange situation where a single woman (no children), well respected in her profession, retired. I heard this story from another good friend who was buddies with this unusual woman. Usual woman inherited her parents' huge 4 bedroom house. I think it was over 3,500 sq ft. in wealthy part of a major city. Well, guess what..after her parents died, she continued to occupy the same small bedroom as she did when she was a child. the ouse is worth over $1 million. She became a bit reclusive Clearly, IMO she has some issues.... she needs...a life instead of looking after that huge empty house.

Having less possessions is more freeing. Right now, I think I've reaccumulated what I threw out when I had to relocate to a different province a few years ago. Feels like abit too much stuff I have .... and we don't live in a house.