My husband and I join a young couple for a fine dining night out once a month. We had reservations at a very nice restaurant but had to cancel them because I couldn't make it home from work in time. Instead, we went to Olive Garden with them.

Immediately when I got in the car with them, I sensed something almost tangible, something bad, something dark. We drove to the restaurant and we all ordered our drinks, now this 26 yr. old guy and his 24 yr. old girlfriend love to drink but he only ordered a glass of wine and she ordered a Root beer.

We chatted and my husband, of course, drank one glass after the other and finally ordered a whole huge bottle. I can't explain why, but I looked over at Nick and asked, "Why did you have blood work done, Nick?" He looked at me with dark rings around his eyes and said, "What makes you think I had blood work done?" I told him I just knew. They all think I'm a bit weird anyway so that didn't amaze them all that much.

Then his girlfriend, a recent graduate of Stetson University, said, "Nick almost died last night." She told how he stopped breathing and his eyes rolled back in his head. She couldn't get a pulse but she had taken pain pills also and wasn't much help.

She tried cpr and slapping him in the face but no response. The building maintenance man's girlfriend who is a registered nurse came in, took his pulse and there was none, she called 911 and administered cpr to him until they arrived. He had to be put in the tub of water at the hospital and basically overdosed himself to near death.

They were both shaken and looked lost. I had the opportunity to tell Nick that God had a purpose for his life or he WOULD have died, that the registered nurse didn't just happen to be there. I told him we didn't want to lose him, that we want to go to their wedding someday.

Here's the kicker, my husband has been giving him pain pills he gets from the VA for his "disability". If Nick had died, it would have been in part my husband's fault. My husband scolded Nick for not calling him because, as he put it, "I could have talked you out of it." How the hell do you talk someone out of dying of an overdose??!!

What a loser!!