A few nights ago while browsing at the Hallmark store I noticed an amiable fellow chatting mindlessly with the owner.

This man was rambling on about how his girlfriend wouldn't answer his phone calls even though he had bought her a "two carat, diamond engagement ring." He was asking store patrons for ideas for gifts he could buy her to "make it up to her."

I smiled at him as he got closer and reassured him she was just teaching him a lesson by making him suffer a little. However, when I looked into his blood-shot eyes and smelled the over-powering stench of alcohol I knew this man was drunk.

Today I thought about him and I felt very afraid of him. I thought about his supposed fiance' and wondered if she knew her intended is probably an alcoholic. Maybe that's why she wouldn't speak to him. I wondered if he's violent and hurts her.
How can a woman ever know before hand what she's getting into?

Another one of my friends was married to an alcoholic. She said she was really fooled because he'd take her on dates and would only have one drink. She's much happier and so are her three children without him around.

[ December 09, 2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: ladybug ]