I agree, Gimster, for some it's not needed, or something they put any value on after a certain age. Myself, if I do not have my finger nails done, I feel "dirty," and I can say the same for my 70 plus mother! Although my mother may not wear a full face of make up, she will still care that there is some color in her face and that her lips have a dash of light color! She was a "hippie," in her life, but still has those things that she holds dear regarding how she looks that she keeps for herself.
It is the same with clothing. She does not wear the jeans she wore when I was a child but she does care what color her "pajama," type cloting is and takes great care to get colors she feels are "her."
In fact, she told me last that she had to wear a blue top out because that was how "they know me," meaning she always wore SOMETHING blue and many in a city of over 1 million will notice if she is not wearing her blue.

It tells me she cares and it shows me style. I do not think my mother who is larely a thinking person is wrapped up in her "look," but she does care.

dancer

"Question your privilege"