LadyJane, were the daughters jealous of you? You all look so happy in the picture. It is sad that they aren't trying from their side at all.

Maybe there are families who never have issues...but I don't know of any. Believe me, I have them with my own sons off and on too. Funny, I actually get along better with my DIL's. I think sons are more difficult because they need to be independent and show their independence by being sarcastic or nasty while they think they are funny. I don't know. I have learned though, to allow it to go in one ear and out the other. It doesn't always work,...and sometimes the stuff between the ears gets messed up,...but the things we do for harmony; sad to say is sometimes degrading.

Most importantly you are on your husband’s side. That’s all that counts, because in the end it’s all about us and our partners if we have one. Children move away, lead their own lives, and don’t think half as much about us as we think of them.

I know when I’m old and needy, that I have to see how I can be helped, because I know that my sons would never do for me what I do for my mother. Sad, but it’s better to face the truth now and be prepared.