If I were to come visit you,(Don’t pull up that draw bridge!…This is just hypothetically speaking), what would you show me in your area, (in a radius of 30 miles), that you think is something really special; be it a shopping mall, nature, a city, university…whatever?

We get house guests rather frequently, and I usually do some sight seeing with them. Showing the area I live in through other eyes makes me value what we have more. There are so many interesting places in our immediate neighbourhood that it is sometimes hard to choose where to go to.

But for a day’s excursion I suppose I would show the city we live closest to. It’s called Augsburg ( 2000 years old), nicknamed the fountain city, because of the gorgeous fountains, on every corner.

It has a mammoth pedestrian area, hundred’s of café’s and beautiful old buildings, all rebuilt and renovated after the war. We have cobblestone streets, little theatres and antique and art gallery sections. It’s anything but an old sleepy city. Augsburg is a pulsating jazz and blues city, and holds jazz festivals several times a year. You would think you were in New Orleans, with people dancing on the streets, and combo bands playing between street artists. Augsburg is about a 15 minute drive from our house.

AUGSBURG

Now what would you show me?