Is anyone else in here aware of how quickly some doctors are to prescribe? I say beware. I've seen this happen in my parent's generation and now it's trickled down to the young.

People go to doctors for aches and pains and get pain meds thrown at them. I'm disgusted with the lack of true concern and interest in finding the real cause.

I guess I was reflecting because the anniversary of Mom's death is approaching. She was riddled with cancer, it had spread to her bones before she was diagnosed in an ER due to a fall at home. She had been visiting her doctor regularly. He continued to tell her she had a form of arthritis for MONTHS.

Mom was diagnosed in late August/early September with Stage 3 lung cancer that had spread to her bones/ribs. We have pictures of her at a family event in May and she had a heating pad on her ribs at that time. Four months prior! That whole summer her doctor kept pushing pain pills, blaming it on the humidity. Plus the fact that she had lost like 30 pounds! Now I feel stupid looking back, but she was under doctor's care.

At one point while she was in pain she ahd a colonoscopy and we were sure she was going to have colon cancer. The results came back negative. Now that I think about it, she was probably having bowel problems because all the pain medicine she was popping.

Anway, I guess my point is that if you think something is wrong...keep getting different opinions until you feel comfortable with the diagnosis. And don't take pain pills for too long a period of time without having tests done to find the real reason for the pain.

Maybe I should have been in the whine forum.