I had prior knowledge that college students do alot of drinking. They did so 30 years ago too. However, I had hoped that the teaching we had done at home had influenced my own children so they might dabble lightly, if need be, but not get heavily involved. My first child off to college never did any drugs/alcohol in high school and only enjoys a beer or wine now and then, very rarely. He is a junior. I found out my college freshman was drinking beer at school parties, but never expected the amount, or how often. Unfortunately it became very apparent on Thanksgiving. My 18 year old left home at 8am with friends, they driving, to go early to the parking lot before the annual Turkey Bowl, 2 rival HS's play football at 10am. We, as a family, the rest of us that is, drove down in time for kick-off. I looked for my son, but never saw him during the game. On my way to the car I had a funny feeling he was in trouble and prayed he and friends, and all those other families, arrived back home safely. Before I could get out of our car, I was receiving a message to call the ER because my son was there. He was"ok" but I needed to call and speak with the doctor. Well their OK was different from mine. It seems he never left the parking lot and was drinking rum and cokes, he states an entire bottle. The parking attendants called 911 as he was intoxicated. On arriving in the ER at 2pm he was still drunk. He kept going in and out wake/sleep states. They hadn't pumped his stomach nor inserted an iv, but were mildly encouraging fluids. There were 2 guards posted at his door to keep him from walking out. It was devistating to see my son this way. After forcing 4 liters of fluids I was finally able to take him home at 5pm. Needless to say we missed the Thanksgiving dinner that the rest of my family attended with relatives. While sobering up he was very appologetic, remorseful and worried he was hurting himself. He in particular should never drink alcohol as he has been on medication and will always be, that should never be combined. We've been preaching he should be the designated driver for all his friends since he was 7. Guess it didn't work. I'm not sure now where to go. My husband sais he is just being a typical college kid. My son states he has been doing this for a year now. I don't know how I missed it. Last year he was to kiss me good night on returning home, how did I miss it. Anyway, I was afraid to send him back to college Sunday, back to the same friends who he apparently drinks with every weekend. I had him sign a contract saying that if he didn't clean up his act, I would pull him from there and he'd either have to live at home and go to school around here or I would even commit him to detox. I also told him he needed to get some counciling. He agreed and signed the paper, but in talking with him tonight he sais he hasn't drunk since leaving home and doesn't even want to. I know this won't last long. He sais he can cut down and isn't an addict. I don't believe so. Guess I'll need to go to Allanon. If anyone has any tips to help me or my son and family I will definitely listen. As a mother I want only the best for my children and I just can't fathom why anyone would purposely drink oneself to oblivian, guess that's why I never have. Thanks for listening.