I work for a national magazine (have many US accounts) as an advertising sales rep. I have worked for this company for over 8 years. I have developed many new accounts and so far have been the only sales person. A few years ago my company was sold to a larger company. Many of the staff changed and fairly recently my magazine hired a new editor. He has a friend (male) and suggested to the owner of my company that he hire him as a salesperson for my magazine. He did not talk to me about it, just gave the owner a sales pitch about his friend. Told the owner that his friend could make the magazine larger with his expertise. My magazine is aviation related. I am not a pilot but know the industry well and have many loyal advertisers. I used to be married to a pilot so am up on the lingo etc. This guy is a pilot so my editor has decided that he should work for the magazine. I'm just a woman and not a pilot at that. He has an ego issue and so does this new guy.

Problem: I have many accounts and many prospects that I call on a regular basis.

My boss asked me to send this person a list of my current advertisers and accounts that I am trying to get. I did this. This guy told me after looking over my list that I have 97% of all the accounts in the industry and there is nothing left for him. This is not true. He just doesn't want to go to all the work of getting new accounts. He thinks that because he knows some of my clients personally (he lives in their area of the country), that I should hand them over to him or at least share them and split the commission. I live in the west where the magazine started. He lives in the east an area that we are trying to grow. I used to live in the east for many years and have brought in some large advertisers from there. My company thinks because he lives there and can call on people in person he will do better. All I have to do is pick up the phone and call them. I don't need to meet them in person to sell them an ad and never do. I do all my sales over the phone.

I depend on the income from this job, he has his own company and this job would be extra income for him. My company is not very loyal. In the entire time I have worked for this company I have never even received a Christmas card from the company or the owner. When people leave they talk about how lousy they were at their jobs and basically run them down. They fire people and recently asked me for a copy of my contract. I don't have it, they should but it looks like they lost it. I don't think they are happy about not being able to find it. I wondered why they wanted my contract and now I know. They wanted to hire him. I think they have been snowed into believing that this guy is more knowledgeable and will get more sales because he is a pilot. I know this is not true but obviously they don't. He has never sold anything let alone advertising which is not easy.

My boss is meeting with him in his city next week. He wanted us to talk before this meeting. In my opinion they (my boss and him) are trying to take money of out my kids mouths. He wants some of my accounts instead of getting his own. Granted my list is huge but I have accumulated all of these contacts on my own over the years. I am worried that it will come down to them telling me that I have to give up some of my accounts and I have worked very hard to get them. Whether this is fair or not does not matter to them.

I am currently taking my real estate course because they have done similar to me before and I don't trust this company. My brother has told me over the years to quit but I have kids to take care of and financially can't quit. That is why I am trying to get into another career.

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are about this. As I am too close to the situation I may not be seeing things from their point of view, just mine. Idea's?
Kate