I would suggest that your boyfriend first find professional help for himself -- to understand the illness better -- to understand what he can do to help -- to give him someone to talk to. I realize he has you -- but he needs to find someone who knows how to deal with this illness --an "outsider" that doesn't have to "take sides". He can call Southwest Florida Addiction Services or call AA and they will give him a list of al-anon groups.

You can be there for him to talk to as a girlfriend, but it's important he has someone to talk to that isn't personally involved. No matter how much you love someone or trust them -- when it comes to getting down to the nitty gritty -- it's hard to let go and get angry or cry or reach down to the bottom of your soul with someone who is in the position of "judging" the situation. I'm sure you WOULDN'T judge, but an "outsider" will give him that opportunity better -- while you give him the support and love to get through it all.

If he doesn't feel comfortable talking to someone in person -- there are several chat groups and support groups -- professionally run and just people getting together -- here on the internet, and that will be one way you can help him -- find him a place he can get it all out.

Just let him know that you're there for him -- try to find interesting ways to get his mind off things for awhile when he's with you -- let him know that everything's going to work out. Finding a group online for YOU to chat about this wouldn't be a bad idea either -- so it doesn't get too heavy for you -- so you can get some ideas from other girlfriends going through this with their boyfriends. You won't be any help to him if you let this bring you down or cause you to get sick.

Let me know if you'd like me to try to find some of the online resources -- k?

;-)