Dotsie,

Great contest, Dotsie. Wish I could enter. Seems like life is always throwing a lesson my way. Could it be that hard head of mine?

I had someone call me at home last night telling me about their life lesson and asking particulars about the contest. I think you're going to get some interesting stories!

I'll tell one life lesson of mine since I'm not eligible. One time I worked for this graphics department. My boss was a great guy and much older than I was. His name was Sam. Sam was full of good old fashion, Mark Twain kind of wisdom. I learned a lot from him.

One time I was feeling particularly puffed up about myself and my abilities and felt I was due a raise. I asked Sam for one. Being young and inexperienced (I was about 20), I almost demanded the raise. Duh? Instead of telling Sam the reasons I needed/wanted the raise, I began telling him how important I was and almost giving him an ultimatum. Duh? (a legend in my own mind!)

Sam just grinned and said, Georgia, I want you to get a bucket and fill it with water. Then I want you to put your hand in the bucket and pull it out. The hole left will be how valuable you are to this mighty corporation. Value to this company doesn't come from talk. It comes from action. Show me. And when you do, you'll get the biggest raise I can give.

I did....and he did. God luv him. One of the best supervisors I have ever had. He cared so much for his employees and I watched him over the years give up a percentage of his own raise so that the company would disperse the tiny percentages THEY gave to others. What a man!

But the lesson was that anyone can be replaced. Don't ever think you can't. Especially in corporations.

To me, it isn't so important whether or not you can be replaced as it is how much of a hole is left by you in others hearts and minds when you do depart.

That old saying, people may not remember your name, but they will always remember how you made them feel, now THAT, that is a lesson I carry with me every day.