Feng Shui was written by mortals who didn't know any more than we do, but they had their system which fit in with their cultural ways. I don't take any system like that uber-seriously, because what makes that particular way "perfect?" Because a bunch of other people said so?

I'll use the window thing as an example. Feng shui says don't place your work desk looking out the window because the energy flows outwards.

When we bought our house, I specifically chose this room as my work room because of the light. My desk faces the window and I see a lot of trees.

The energy doesn't flow out -- it flows in. There's an incredible energy from all those trees which infuses me and expands my horizons. It also calms me and centers me so my creativity can flow. When I've had desks facing walls or room interiors, I'm more antsy and my ideas are more likely to get jammed up in hyperactivity and sometimes even claustrophobia.

I have an amazing sense of color and spatial design, not just in jewelry but on a larger scale as well. I can feel if a room works -- and if doesn't, why not. Again, some of this jibes with Feng Shui and some of it not. However, this doesn't mean that my idea of design and color should necessarily be yours, either.

Which brings us back to my original statement: find what works for you.

Poet and essayist