Two months after my Dad's passing, my 81 year old mother is going on a date.
This guy has been interested in her for the past year. They go to the same seniors activity centre. He found out that she lost her husband so he asked her out for coffee the other day. She called me to tell me about it saying she wasn't sure if she should go. She usually plays games so this was her way of finding out what I would say.
I told her he is not asking for her hand in marriage, just coffee and maybe his intentions are just for companionship.

The loyal daughter to my Dad thinks one thing and my logical mind thinks another. The daughter mind thinks this is awful, how can she even think about going out with someone so soon after my Dad died.
The logical mind, or if I step outside the daughter role I see that she has been very lonely for a long time as my Dad was sick and tired of her nagging and basically wanted little to do with her.

What do others think about this? Can anyone relate? I know she wants to and I know she is interested even though she says she isn't as she started telling me stuff about him that obviously she found out from others.

Then there is the fact that she is sharing with me about a new man in her life, possibly, and I can't talk about my boyfreind because she doesn't approve of our relationship as his skin colour is too dark. I am not allowed to talk to her about him and she never wants to meet him.

Oh well, I will of course take the high road again. I am thinking ahead here about Christmas and stuff, how will I handle having to get used to my Mom with another man. The thought of it makes me uncomfortable.
Kate