This is a wonderful creative group and I would love to hear your ideas if you have some experience with this.

My Dad told my Mom that he did not want a funeral. I want and need some closure and I think my Mom does, kids, family etc. do too.

I have a wonderful ex-mother in-law who is now my very good friend. She belongs to a wonderful non-denominational church and has made arrangements for me to have a "Celebration of Life" service for my Dad.

I discussed it with my Mom and brother and they will go along with it but neither of them want to do anything. I can't judge them for that. My brother has his beliefs and feels that this type of thing is just prolonging the pain.
My Mom is in shock and I think she will appreciate this service after the fact. Anyway, I have to be the one to put this into place and it's also something that I want to do.

The church is not charging me a thing and all I have to do is pay for the Minister to do the service. The cost is $300.00 which both my brother and Mother think is crazy.
I don't. I totally trust my Mother in-law and when she says he does an incredible service I know that I can count on that. He is not a practicing minister anymore and is not part of her church. His full time work is putting on "Celebration of Life" services that are very touching and memorable.

I am having the minister meet with my Mom, brother and myself. This is part of his service. He meets us for an hour and finds out as much as he can about my father. He says we have many options on how to have it. The nice thing is he will take control of the service, as much as we want him too which is something I can't do. I would just break down too much.

Question: have any of you done this type of thing and if so, was there anything you did that made it extra special"

I'd love to hear of your experiences. To me, this is a send off for my Dad. I don't want it to be a sad, painful experience. I want my Dad to be remembered and honored.
Thanks in advance.
Kate