Kate,
My heartfelt prayers and thoughts are with you today. I know this is a hard time for you. Nothing can replace our parents. I lost my dad in January of 1998 and my mother in January of 2000. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters but still feel like an orphan since they have died. I sometimes tell people that you will feel like your world has tilted on its axis and will never be the same.
Time does help, but you never stop missing them. I agree with you for those that have their parents, please give them an extra hug and listen to them because they really are gone in an instant.
It sounds like you have very sweet, charming memories to hold dear of your father. What an honor to spread his ashes on his parents grave. Good for you for holding a service to celebrate his life. It is important to do so, it makes you feel like you have given him the final honor of shring his life.
If you ever need a friend to chat with when you are missing him or having a hard day please feel free to contact me. You can reach me here or at sandpipertwin@yahoo.com.
God's Blessings on you dear one.
www.tidedancer.com