Hannalore, I doubt that anyone would ignore work because of double spaces. Still, it is best if we really all edit and format and learn craft as if our little careers depended on it. We can always find a few gatekeepers who are patient and understanding. But the one big thing your after? You do something that most of us DO on occasion(like a dangline pariticple) and it may cause a harried editor to roll his eyes and drop your piece in the round file. Think of all the writers out there. Think of all the submissions. I don't like to think this can happen, but it can. You should have heard the responses from my editors. One said she gets handwritten manuscripts--often. We all know that no agent will take the time to read one of those--not unless they spot a fantastic foice in maybe the first sentence. Not if the query letter isn't superb. I mean, as good as the writing may be, there are other good (even great!) writers out there. So....we're all in this bucket together. That's what I'm here for, to try to help a little. (-:

Best,
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop