Georgia, yes, these are really formatting problems and many writers don't think that's part of their business. Obviously, it is. The reason that the double space at the end of the sentence changed is that there is something called kerning. It used to be done by the linotype operators who set the type and double spaces helped the letters look nicer on the page. Now computers do that for us. It's really tough for those of us who learned to type...mmmmm, a thousand years ago, to adjust to. You can use the find feature in your Word program to replace all double spaces with single ones. The step by step directions are in the Frugal Editor, for those who aren't tech savvy and don't know Find from Replace from...you know what. (-:

To help formatting, we should also remove the space at the end of paragraphs. It's only natural that writers would type one in 'cause the end of the paragraph is almost 100% of the time, the end of a sentence.

Maybe you can use that Find trick when you're editing your submissions. I know you have a copy of TFE, so you can look it up in the index I slaved over. BTW, anyone have any indexing questions?

Oh, and PS: May I use your comment/question for my brand new editing-focused blog. I mean it is new. The first post isn't even up but you can check it out at www.thefrugaleditor.blogspot.com. I think it will be useful to authors. Sort of an ongoing Q&A tutorial on editing. (-:

Best,
Author award-winning THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER and THE FRUGAL EDITOR. "After reading , THE FRUGAL BOOK PROMOTER you may know more about book publicity than your publisher." ~ Tim Bete, director, Erma Bombeck Writers' Workshop