Quote:

On a better side, my SIL IS strong enough to watch her daughters as much as she can to keep them safe but no one can stop him if he is so inclined... we want Child Protection to go in...I reported this in detail to the CPS office but "not enough!"...

Precisely why it is so disturbing, Dancer.

The CPS is bound by duty to even err with caution in cases of child abuse. It is not as if they do not possess a previous record of intervention with the family. Surely, they ought to be able to even consider that perhaps counselling sought in the past had not helped and the situation has only gotten worse. In this case, it was not enough to pare the rotten side of the bad apple. So, where that process is moot, aided and abetted physical intervention outside of it is necessary.

It would be wise to discuss with your SIL "wilful neglect" of the children where there is, by her own admission and submissions, an imminent threat to them. A harsh approach. But, the threat to the children is harsher. And, I hope she sees it for what it is, as that may be the manner it will be treated should anything further happen to the children. If such is presented to your SIL, it might assist you and the sister by enforcing upon your SIL the immediate decision she has to make and the necessity for an expedient departure from the husband. There could be legal repercussions if she prevaricates any further. She was ALREADY duty-bound to have removed the children, at first instance, following the circumstances she found him in bed with the child. IF your SIL omits to act, I would suggest for the sister to seek legal advice where a protective custody can perhaps be sought for children at risk.

Dancer, the burden of this problem and the mechanics with which to resolve it is truly and deeply appreciated. It is a guarantee that a whispered prayer is offered for each time a post in this thread is read and replied to. And, it will continue to be carried in prayer after it has been visited.

Edited by Lola (10/13/07 11:30 AM)