Quote:

Lola, I'm not sure of your situation, but unfortunately there is never any way someone can be forced to keep their marriage vows....

Very true, CountryGirl.

My ex-husband was in the middle of his diaconate when I met him but, left to get married before ordination. He sought re-admission to the priesthood when patrimonial issues were resolved, i.e. our children have grown up, and I was not encumbered by any economic hardship. My effort at that time to "force him" to give regard to our marriage vows arose from my view that a married state is as meritorious in God's eyes as a vocation to the priesthood. Our respective professions, background in theology and active work in Apologetics allowed us to do Apostolic work as married people. Yet, it had not been enough for my ex-husband and the longer I distracted and opposed him from fulfilling his calling, the more miserable we felt.

My close association of friends and extended family offered the support when I needed someone to talk to. Charitable as they were, none could offer counsel in the form that I sought at that time nor dared risks with opinions on matters of spiritual vocations. Much like you, I prayed hard. Eventually, I had to let go. Not an easy thing to have done because, all in all, our married life was a good one. He was a good father and a good husband for the duration of our married life. But, most importantly, I loved him.

It has now been a few years since his re-admission to Sacred Ministry and I have since balanced the temporal with the spiritual. Fully reconciled to the fact that where I grieved a loss, the Church has gained. And, where the question is constantly posed by friends and family as: am I happy? I can only say that I still wear my wedding ring, count my blessings and keep myself busy.

Edited by Lola (10/18/07 08:37 PM)