Before April, when the weekly sessions of babysitting began, I used to send postcards and goofy greeting cards to my grandchildren. It is not so much for the graphics in them but for the educational purposes it serves. Because they are compelled by their parents to reply to posts, it encourages the grandchildren to develop their writing, reading skills and etiquette. Correspondence by way of paper and pencil has significantly been replaced by electronic communication amongst the young. Whilst there are benefits and other skills that are developed as a result of it, putting thought to paper is a craft which must not be allowed to expire. Stamps, especially commemorative ones, are also historical and works of art. A few years from now, when my grandchildren grow up, we can always look back at their handwritten notes. Much more enjoyable to reminisce from than font-enhanced computer printed copies.

The UK is on a 48-hour nationwide postal strike from yesterday. The grievances are due mostly to funding cuts and the closure of many postal offices. It has been a long way from the pony express but little did those riders know how much technology would threaten the postal system. In this country where card-giving is still a very much loved tradition, when the postman eventually becomes redundant, he would surely be missed.

Edited by Lola (10/05/07 06:44 AM)