Di, I'm sorry, sometimes people can be publicly insenstive to other people's feelings, whether or not intentional. Perhaps someone could write a new book on modern manners?! Hmmm.

I must say that I often feel uncomfortable with other women b/c I don't have children in which to 'bond' a conversation with my peers. However, I do have other interests and on those occasions when asked about my 'children' I sometimes may mention our long walks and how parsnippity the girls are, then explain I have a dog and 2 cats!

I do hear (and not only about myself), "why doesn't she[have children]?" Whether or not a choice for whatever circumstances, conscience or subconscience, or medical decision, a woman is and will always be a lady, professional, giver, lover, sister, daughter, aunt, nurturer, etc., regardless of children. Childless women are not a minority, nor should they be treated like one. Unlike men, where there is an emptiness, women are much more craftier at filling that 'hole' with 'wholeness' through positive measures.