Just got a call from my son. He went to a party with the work crowd. This was a huge party for the workers sponsored by the union. It was non stop food and unfortunately alcohol. When my son drinks he gets huge cravings for drugs.
So, he got drunk, went off with some guys from work. Spent his entire cheque over $700 on crack and doesn't remember the last four days, where he was etc. Woke up in the hospital. He is being watched and they told him the way his mind is, he is incapable of making any decisions for himself.

He called me to tell me he is there until Thursday then going back to the treatment centre he was at right before he went to Calgary with the first relapse.

Now, I am the kind of person who when something isn't working I try something else. I am at a place where I am wondering if I should step in. If he goes back to a treatment centre where he already was, why would it work this time.

Through much research I have read that being addicted to crack cocaine is different. Regular treatment centres do not work for these addicts. They need to be under a doctor's supervision, have a much longer treatment stay then other types of treatment and be monitored.

What do I do. I don't want to be an enabler, but if my son can't make choices on his own, should I step in. I want him to go to an addictions doctor. The 12 step program does not work for him and I've read it is not successful for crack addicts.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this. He continues to go through one revolving door after another. Goes to treatment, does well, comes out, gets a job, relapses.Goes to treatment, does well, comes out, gets a job, relapses. Goes to treatment, does well, comes out, gets a job, relapses.

It is obvious that something else needs to be done. I want to be careful and not take this on for my other kids sake.....but, what he continues to do just isn't working. I am 99% sure that if he goes to another 12 step program, treatment centre that he will relapse when he gets out.

What do you think I should do? I am too close to the situation to think logically, or am I!
Kate