Have you Googled sundowning? I just did and there seems to be lots of information out there. Hope this helps.

I remember when Mom was in the very final stages of cancer, she had been in the hospital (ER for over 24 hours without windows) then placed in a room for a couple days. He had an episode which freaked all of us out. Prior to her boost of almost manic energy, we thought she was dying. She couldn't walk she was so weak. During the night she sat up in bed and was speaking to her mom and sister; sorta waving to them as they they were passing by.

Anyway, the next day she got out of bed and was ranting and raving about stuff we couldn't even imagine. They gave her Haldol(not sure if that's how you spell it). BOy did that do the trick.

But you know what? I really think Mom was over-medicated.

They gave us the Haldol to take home. They said that any time she began to appear agitated to give her the medicine, so we did. And it worked.

Now this is end stage cancer, but the doctor referred to it as sundowning because it began after she had been in the room without windows. Weird. So much I'll never totally comprehend.

And so sad.

I'm sorry for those going through it with your parents. Keep getting the support YOU need to get through these trying times.