I wasn't sure where to post this, so Dotsie, please feel free to move it if you think it is more appropriate elsewhere.

We had the most incredible experience this holiday week, and I thought I would share it with all of you. Our daughter (who works as a Communications Director at the White House) was able to procure passes for us to view the fireworks from the South Lawn. We were able to get seats just on the other side of the driveway of the South Portico, and had a terrific view of not only the fireworks, but of the President and his guests when they came out to greet the staffers and their families. The Marine Band played rousing patriotic songs, costumed characters dressed as Presidents greeted the crowd, and children were able to get their faces painted with flags and symbols of freedom. Some of the President's honored guests included a couple dozen wounded veterans from Iraq, who had seats with their families just a few feet from us. The President saluted them when he came out on the balcony, and they all saluted back.

But this story is more than our evening on the White House lawn.
Several months ago just before the Christmas holidays, also while visiting our daughter and son-in-law in DC., we stopped by Arlington Cemetery. We paid a visit to the graves of parents of a dear friend, then kept walking to Section 60, where the Iraqi and Afghanistan war dead are buried. Sitting at the grave of one fallen hero was a soldier in army camoflage. He sat on the cold, hard ground, framed by the Christmas wreaths that decorated the graves, just rocking back and forth. He never spoke, he never moved, except for the constant rocking. Occasionally he would place his hand on the top of the headstone, then would continue his vigil. We were so taken with this young man, but did not feel we should intrude on his grief. We walked around the cemetery for over an hour, but were drawn back to Section 60. Sure enough, there he still was. This time we made note of the name on the headstone, making sure not to disturb the soldier. The name engraved on the headstone was Cpl. Matthew P. Wallace, US Army. December 27, 1983-July 21, 2005.

When we got home, I did some research on the internet, and found a link to an email address for Matthew's mother Mary. I contacted her and told her what we had seen. That same day she received another email from another visitor to Section 60 who described the same scene...only 3 days later than when we had been there. This soldier had spent at least three entire days at the grave of his buddy. Mary was able to do some research on her own, and discovered that the soldier sitting on the ground by her son's grave was his roommate in Iraq. She was able to track him down, and they have been corresponding over these last several months.

Mary and I have developed an email friendship ourselves, and find that we have much in common. This week, while back in DC, my husband and I were able to meet Mary and her husband Keith for the first time over a long lunch. We talked about everything under the sun, while enjoying the best crabcake I have ever eaten overlooking the wharf on a beautiful summer day in Maryland.

Out of our discussions has come the idea of writing a book that might be of help to those people who have either lost a loved one or who are dealing with a wounded soldier as a result of the War on Terror. Mary wrote an essay after her visit to Arlington on Memorial Day, entitled "The Fellowship of the Devastated." I believe that would be a great title for this book. Our plan (in its very early stages) is to contact people who have suffered loss in this war, and invite them to share whatever experience they wish. It might be how they dealt with the "firsts", when they felt it was right to go back to work, or when it was not, how to get around some government red tape, how they dealt with anything at all they they feel would help someone else cope. Mary and I will then write the stories and put together the work. Our mission is to write this book with no political overtones; it is simply meant as a tribute to the ones who have sacrificed and hopefully be able to help someone else who unfortunately might find themselves on this journey. It is our intent to find a worthy charity to which to donate at least a portion of the profits.

Sitting with my new friend on July 3rd was an inspiration. Sitting on the White House lawn on Independence Day and sharing fireworks with American heroes was beyond description. As I wrote in an email to the parents of another young man who gave his life for our freedom, our brave soldiers might be the very best of us, but they come from awfully good stock in the first place.

Some photos:

Marine Band on South Lawn

Wounded soldiers watching the fife and drum corps

President and Mrs. Bush and former President and Mrs. Bush greet the crowd with their guests

Edited by jawjaw (07/08/07 05:45 PM)