Yes, I realize it's time for me to start thinking of myself. I put my kids first way too often. Teenagers are tricky though as they can be really self indulgent, goes with the territory. It's all about their friends. I remember it well.

I took them shopping to Vancouver a couple of weekends ago, stayed over night in a nice hotel, went clothes shopping. I had saved up for a while. My plan was to spend some one on one time with them, some bonding time. Things did not go as I had planned. It was ok but I had planned for it to be like the good old days. We would all snuggle up in bed with chips and pop and watch a movie. They watched a movie that I did not like at all, I actually fell asleep...boring. It was then that I realized that they are growing up and I didn't even notice. This trip was a real eye opener.

Every year I send my ex mother in-law a Mothers Day card and I buy her flowers. She sent me an email thanking me and told me that I am the only person who remembered her on Mothers Day. She has four kids and 13 grandkids, mine included.
I felt sad for her. At least I got a happy Mothers Day card from my kids. My son even called me from the treatment centre. He has not remembered for years as he's always been out of it. I was really happy to hear from him this Mothers Day.

Your right, it's time to stop putting my kids first all the time and start planning for the next stage. They are going through changes too. I am in the process of getting my real estate license so that's a start in the right direction.

So ladies, I'll be taking your advice. Life is waiting!
Kate