My mother came and stayed with Nathan while my husband John had surgery. I did not even have to ask-just told her the date and when I would pick her up. I don't even remember discussing it. She packed for a lifetime because she did not know when she would be going home.

After John was released from teh hospital she stayed with him and cooked small little things. You know how it is when you feel like crap but if someone puts a little tantalizing food in front of you, you might give it a try and then before long, you are eating a fair amount of food. She did this until John was sleeping through the night and able to occupy himself. This meant the pain was subsiding and he could focus.

She just sat with him and talked when he wanted to talk and walked with him when he felt he could. She is grreat at being with you but not with you.

During the week that John was in the hospital, she was up all day with a 4 year old and then spent half the night lying next to me when I could not sleep. We just layed in the dark and talked about being afraid and being alone. We talked about my Dad (he had only been dead for 6 months). I only hope she took cat naps during the day.

She now is an ear on the phone when the days get heavy. Our relationship will never be the same after this. John needed her badly. His own parents ahd died two years ago.

Yes, our parents care for us. And tell us to take a sweater!

Lynn