I "retired" early, when I was 53 in order to do elder care for mother and aunt. my job at the time was a stressful sales position in the technology field. Not really sad to leave it (except for the pay!). I planned to go back to work, in probably a different position, after things settled down. Well, 1-1/2 years into that "retirement" I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. That changed everything. For a couple of years couldn't work even if wanted to. Now that I feel well enough to find a job, I've discovered that I don't want to spend the rest of my life working that hard again. Life is just not for work, work and more work. I am lucky enough to be able to scrape by financially (heaven help me tho if I beat this cancer thing and live another 30 years!!). However, with the cost of medical care and knowing that a major medical crisis could hit you at any time, I would be very concerned about taking an early retirement and having to get private insurance. Wait until medicare can cover you. So, when I talk to people about early retirement and the benefits, I say it's great...unless you get sick....