I am far from retiring and cannot consider retiring early.

But is useful to know people, close, who are retired to see how they handle it ....so to prepare better for future.

Yesterday, while having a coffee at market, we met a woman who was forced to retire early..and she moved to Ontario after living in Vancouver for 30 yrs. She regretted the move and felt she should have waited for 1 yr. after shock of job loss. Now she cannot move back because of cost.

A close friend of mine retired abit early (maybe by 3 yrs. early) without much impact on company pension. A single, childless woman her whole life who owned a home (several times).

She finally decides to:

a) not have a car. She sold her car after working out the cost. She lives 5 min. from subway, buses and many stores, services, restaurants. She drove a car for about 40 yrs. of her life. She uses taxis several times per year.

b) She rents after having home ownership for 30 years. She decided not tie up her equity so much. Just very carefully live in lower rental place, etc. Not sure I could do that...but she has thought this one through.

She knows the consequences of aging, retirement...I mean she was medical librarian specializing in geriatric medicine and sociology of aging for 15 years. So one does see alot of useful info. to prepare...eyes wide open for the future.

Note: I began my career by working for this woman in the same area of medicine. Just in my mid-20's I was working in a place that happened to be ...in a good nursing home. At the cusp of life, to witness others in twilight. An excellent learning point for myself...to make good of life now, not when I'm retired and not as strong/fit.

I also worked for judges for several years. Judges in Canada do have the choice as their work benefit to retire at 72-75. Before, they can work part-time, still presiding over court cases, writing up court decisions, etc. It is inspiring to witness very sharp minds still nearing 70. A powerful indicator that if you keep your mind very active, full of positive learning and contribute to your community, it will keep your brain still alert...and happy.

My partner took early retirement. He has a few friends, who retired at 65 or just a bit early. Yes, they are all healthy because...they still bike, volunteer alot. Often you cannot only tell in their body shape (no not every is svelte, but certainly not plodding along in footstep), but in their faces...alert, a certain fitness in their skin/face and relaxed.

Very true, that our generation could live abit longer with better quality if we plan abit better. So much information to help us if we take advantage of that good info. for our well-being.