It's so hard to not be worried about our children, no matter their age.

I'd be encouraged by Evil's thoughts on about the shadow.

Also, I just spoke with my sister, Bonnie, who is a patient care administrator at the National Institutes of Health. For about 20 years, she did CAT scans. She says there can be many causes for a shadow, such as scar tissue from an undiagnosed bout of pneumonia. If you do not have a scan to compare this one to, this is information you don't have at this time. Unfortunately, you'll need to just get through this next week, until your daughter has the PET scan. Bonnie did say that all cases where there is strong reason to believe that cancer is present are considered emergencies and usually the PET scan is done asap.

My two cents: I'd be on the phone asking that this be considered an emergency because the waiting would be very hard for me, also. I'm impatient when it comes to medical test results.

Unfortunately, there may be a shortage of equipment in your part of the country. I don't know where you are from or where your daughter lives. If this is the case, I'd ask if another machine is available for use in a neighboring town or city. If your daughter's insurance carrier will cover a trip to a neighboring community, and a machine is available sooner, I'd be on the road.

Sending prayers your way . . .

Emily in Maryland