Thanks Meredith. Gary has been declining with each passing day. He's pretty much stopped eating (they put a feeding tube in him today); he hurt his back when he fell the other day so can hardly move now, and he's clearly demoralized and scared by his own increasing weakness.

The doctors decided to go ahead with his new chemo regime, starting tomorrow. It's very risky given his level of weakness, but they're afraid he's not going to get any stronger, and without the chemo, he has no chance at all. So we're heading into a very precarious week. 6 gruelling days of intensive chemo. But they'll be monitoring him closely, and I'll be spending every possible moment with him to keep his spirits up as best as I can, so I can only pray with hope and faith that we will make it through to this time next week.

I need us to be held in your hearts, and I'm eternally grateful to know that you all do carry us in your loving care...you cannot begin to imagine how vital your support has been and continues to be. I don't have to be here on-site to feel it - your warm care surrounds me at the hospital, and your prayers lift my heart to a stronger place so I can be fully present to Gary and help lift him to a stronger place too. We are safe thus far because of God's grace radiating through each and every one of your prayers and thoughts...thank you. I carry you in my heart too...many long and quiet hours just sitting in an uncomfortable chair - lots of time to think and pray and send caring thoughts back to all of you. (Pamela, you are always especially close to my heart these days).

I won't be here much this week. Gary is so scared and feels terribly alone at night so I may decide to sleep at the hospital one or two nights. He seems to really need that companioning more than ever right now.

(Maya Angelou)