Swimming is good for fibromyalgia, and if you can't swim, even walking about in the water is good. Stretching (gently) and trying to keep flexible is very important. Massage is highly recommonded as long as you are not in a flare. If you are in a flare, even your bra strap is unbearable.

You should also make sure that there are not any underlying causes for your symptoms. One of the problems I've run across over the past 10 years is once you are diagnosed with FMS, then everything is blamed on it. This can cause serious health issues to be missed.

For instance, if my rheumatoid arthritis had not been detected, and left unchecked, there is always the possibility of death.

There are many diseases that need to be ruled out: Multiple Sclerosis (which is hard to rule out unless you've had it for years); Lupus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (which is linked to FMS); Hormone deficiencies and others.

Avoiding stress as much as possible is the best way I've found to relieve my fibromyalgia symptoms. I've learned to manage my time, turn down projects, and to remove some toxic people in my life.

Weather can also affect how you are feeling.

And a word to those who aren't sure what fibromyalgia is - there are many ways it manifests itself:
Flu-like symptoms, lethargy, foggy thinking, vision changes, widespread pain, numbness, tingling, TMJ, knots (trigger points), referred pain, etc.

From my personal experience, I know that long car rides (or motorcycle rides) can cause an extreme flare-up. As well as stress within the home and without, and from changes in the barometer. So, make adjustments and frequent rest breaks.