Dear Sherri,

So nice to meet you! I'm a new to these forums, but not to challenging months or years.

I was reading your last post and noticed that you said you didn't have time to do anything "fun."

Here, in my humble opinion, lies your biggest challenge.

I've learned that we have to make time for fun. We have to create balance in our lives.

I say this because whenever I've had a major challenge -- loss of my Dad, followed closely by the loss of my best friend since childhood -- I've had to fight the urge to crawl under my covers.

When I look back, balance is what was lacking at those times in my life. Now, whenever I'm facing a "mountain," I make sure that I schedule in time to do more of the things that I love to do. Scrapbooking, crocheting, reading, lighting candles, etc.

This year, two of my best friends are moving away and I have had to step down a notch at work, because I'm going to need more time to take care of my Mom and my Mother-in-law.

Since I haven't handled caretaking and loss well in the past, I'm actively looking for ways to balance my life now, before the actual challenges begin.

I hope this helps.

Sending good thoughts your way, Sherri!

Emily in Maryland